How To Choose A Nursery
At Kids Academy Childcare we understand that as a parent you have a choice of childcare providers offering different benefits to you as a parent. Children’s Day nurseries also differ too. This comprehensive check list is designed to help you ask the right questions when selecting a day nursery and preschool that is right for you.
We sincerley wish you choose a Kids Academy day nursery and preschool and guarantee that we will provide and outstanding childcare education for your son or daughter.
- Does the day nursery and preschool feel happy, warm and welcoming? Do the children seem happy and are they interacting with the staff?
- Are the opening hours suitable for you?
- Is the day nursery and preschool open all year round?
- Is the building safe, comfortable and geared to child car?
- Is the day nursery and preschool registered with Ofsted? Is the certificate on display?
- Is the day nursery and preschool properly equipped to care for each age group? Is it bright and clean?
- Can parents visit at any time?
- Is there a safe outdoor play area?
- Does the day nursery and preschool have a realistic attitude towards the needs of working parents?
- Does the day nursery and preschool have a secure procedure for the collection of children?
- Check entry /exit security.
- Is there a formal list of exclusion for communicable illnesses?
- Check emergency evacuation procedures?
- Can you see their policies?
- What is their policy on discipline?
- Do the day nursery and preschool have a strong equal opportunity policy?
- Is the nursery flexible and does it take parental requests into account?
- What is their settling in period for new children?
- Does the day nursery and preschool consider and meet emotional, physical and educational needs of children from 0- 5 years?
- Children of a similar of age should be grouped together, but check that they also have opportunity to mix.
- Is the child able to rest or sleep in a quite area?
- Ask other parents how they view the day nursery and preschool.
- Is there an emphasis on fun and well being?
- Does the day nursery and preschool encourage healthy eating? Check what they cook and that their menus are well balanced and nutritious.
- Are bathrooms hygienic with areas for children to wash their hands? Is the children’s personal privacy considered?
- Are all dietary requirements catered for?
- Does the nursery encourage good personal hygiene habits like washing hands and brushing teeth?
- Do they have suitable nappy changing and toilet facilities?
- What is the staff turnover like?
- Are the staff friendly and sincere? How do they seem with the children? How do they get on with each other?
- Is the manager and Deputy suitably qualified and experienced?
- Are the staff interested in you and your child? Do they listen to you and your questions?
- Are there First Aiders on site?
- Does the nursery adhere to the minimum staff ratios?
- Are the staff well trained? Ofsted dictates a minimum of 50% qualified staff.
- What will be your child’s routine? How does the day nursery and preschool plan its activities and how varied are they?
- Is there a structured curriculum based on the guild lines of the foundation stage of the National Curriculum, preparing children for primary school?
- Is there a computer for use by older children?
- Does the nursery enhance its daily routine with interesting activities or outings? Does this apply to all ages including babies?
- How is the information about your child’s day communicated to you? Are activity plans on display to view and is there evidence of well- rounded curriculum?