Kids Academy Childcare
Welcome to Kids Academy
Childcare Enquiry / Book a Show Round Kids Academy Brochure - Download now Recruitment - Apply online now

Special Needs

Kids Academy Childcare is committed to the integration of children with special needs. Our philosophy is that children with a special need have a right to be educated and to develop to their full potential alongside other children. Everyone stands to gain if all children are allowed to share the same opportunities and helped to overcome any disadvantages they may have to face.

Integration will be achieved with:


  • Wider Doors available for wheelchairs
  • The play area is all one level
  • We will assess each child’s needs in terms of access and adapt our facilities as appropriate

Support and Expertise

  • We have a designated Special Needs Coordinator
  • There are several members of the staff team who are experienced in the care of children with special needs
  • Outside agencies, including the Health and Education Authorities, will be called on to give advice and support and the staff team will receive training where appropriate
  • Staff work together with parents/main carers as partners to give day to day care for the child and parents/carers will be given support by all the staff team

We ensure that all children are treated as equals and are encouraged to take part in every aspect of the day nursery and preschool activities. All children will be involved in the daily routine, e.g., garden, music and movement, trips to the shops. When outings are being organised, children with special needs will always be included. Wherever possible we will promote positive images of those with special needs.

Children with special educational needs all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. (DfES, 2001).

The 1996 Education Act states that all early education settings, state schools, and Local Education Authorities, together with health and social services, must follow the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice when dealing with children with SEN.

In early education settings and state schools children aged 3 to 5 years old follow the foundation stage curriculum. The Early Learning Goals of this curriculum set out what most children should be able to do by the end of the school reception year. Should your child be making slower progress than you expected, or need additional or different support to other children their age, it does not necessarily mean that your child has special educational needs - teachers use a variety of teaching methods in their classroom given the different rates at which children progress. However, if you do have concerns about your child you should seek advice.

If your child is not yet at school you can talk to your health visitor or doctor. Once at an early years setting or at school a useful person for you to become familiar with the school’s SENCO - Special Educational Needs Co-coordinator. This is the person responsible for co-coordinating help for children with special educational needs. Alternatively you could approach your child’s teacher or head teacher.

Once it is decided that your child has SEN, the setting should follow the Code of Practice as follows:

  • Early Years Action (for early education settings) or School Action: your child begins to receive additional or different help from other children because of their special educational needs. The school must tell you if such measures are used.
  • Should your child then not make enough progress, the school may seek advice from people outside of the school, such as an educational psychologist or speech and language therapist. This level is called Early Years Action or School Action Plus.
  • Following on from this, if your child’s needs are not then met by the mainstream school with the help of specialists, the local education authority will make an assessment of your child. If the LEA decides your child needs special help, they will write a statement of special educational needs. This statement usually means that your child’s school will get a certain amount of money to spend on supporting your child. This is normally spent on a ‘Learning Support Assistant’ - someone who will help support your child in their setting.

The department for education and skills provides a comprehensive guide to the process that a child with special educational needs will pass through, called:

Special Educational Needs (SEN), a guide for parents and carers.

And is available from or:

DfES Publications Centre
PO Box 5050
Sherwood Park
Nottingham NG15 ODJ
Phone: 0845 6022260

Information is also available from:

A non-government organisation with lots of information about what to do if your child has special education needs. It also includes specific disability information.